Spring Car Care Checklist
We all know that Wisconsin winters aren’t easy on vehicles. Potholes in the road may have caused your tires to lose pressure, road salt may have accumulated on your brakes, your wheel alignment may not be correct after driving on slick roads, and your car may be covered in a mixture of leftover snow, grime and salt.
Now that the snow has gone away and the temperature is climbing, it’s a great time to give your vehicle the inspection and care it deserves. Here are some things you may want to take into consideration this spring.
A few things you can consider doing yourself may include:1. Replacing your windshield wiper blades: Admit it; you’ve used a combination of wipers and fluid to clear snow and ice off your windshield when it was a job for the ice scraper. No judgment, we’ve all done it, but it does lead to premature wiper wear. Treat your car and yourself to a new set of quality wipers and bring on those April showers.
2. Check your lights: So important, but yet often times neglected. Have a friend help you by turning on the head lights, blinkers, and hazard lights and stepping on the brakes while you are in front and behind the vehicle to take a look and make sure they are all in proper, working order.
3. Noises: When you roll down your windows to enjoy the warm weather, you may notice a few squeaks or rattles coming from your vehicle that weren’t there last fall. To make the noise easier to pinpoint, try driving alongside a warehouse or large building with your windows down. The wall will reflect the sound and make the noise easier to describe to your technician.
4. Wash the interior and exterior of your vehicle: Washing your vehicle isn’t just important for aesthetic reasons, leaving road salt on the vehicle for too long can deplete the color and corrode the metal. While you are cleaning your vehicle, we recommending waxing it for a glimmering finish. A good wax will protect your vehicle and keep it looking like new. If you are not feeling up to the challenge of a spring vehicle wash, you can give Eau Claire Ford Lincoln & Quick Lane a call to schedule one of our professional detailing services and leave the dirty work to us!
Shop services you should consider:1. Suspension and alignment: You can only dodge so many potholes. Checking and replacing suspension components is better left to the professionals. While you are here, don’t forget about getting a four-wheel alignment as well, especially after investing in a front-end repair or a new set of tires.
2. Brakes and fluids: Fluids break down over time and are prone to contamination, especially brake fluid as it is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. The moisture can eventually lead to internal rust and corrosion that damages brake components. Winter weather and road salt can also wash away the lubricants needed to keep your brakes performing the way they should, so be sure to have your brakes inspected when you are in for service.
3. Tires: If you have all-season tires, be sure to have them checked for irregular wear patterns, sidewall cracks and tire depth. If you have winter tires, now is a great time to switch over to your summer driving tires. Don’t forget to have the condition of your spare tire checked as well!
4. Replace your cabin air filter: Spring is prime allergy season, and the cabin air filter can contribute to your sneezing and sniffling. Replacing this filter can prevent allergens like dirt, dust, and pollen from getting trapped in your car.
5. Air conditioning performance test: Having a trained technician check over your vehicle’s air conditioning will save you from being stuck in the summer heat.
6. Schedule an oil change: Most vehicles should get their oil and oil filter changed every 5 months or every five thousand miles, whichever comes first. Motor oil is an essential fluid in your engine that keeps it running smoothly and efficiently while extending the life of your vehicle.
Budgeting for spring vehicle services:The great news is that most of the services we just talked about can be done right in our Quick Lane! With The Works package we will change your vehicle’s oil and oil filter, top off your fluids, rotate your tires and perform a multi-point vehicle inspection. The multi-point vehicle inspection will check your brakes, fluids, bulbs, and more. Currently, The Works package is only $39.95 and can be scheduled in advance or we welcome walk-ins as well. The Quick Lane can also mount and balance your tires, perform alignments, brake services and more!
Stop by at 2909 Lorch Avenue or give us a call at 715-852-1000 today to get your vehicle ready for summer driving.
Sources: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/spring-car-care-heres-your-checklist/article29695169/ https://independentmotors.net/spring-car-care-checklist/